Mongkut, my eldest kuman thong

Mongkut, my eldest kuman thong
Mongkut, my eldest kuman thong. Arrived Saturday, October 15, 2016.

Channarong, my second eldest kuman thong

Channarong, my second eldest kuman thong
Channarong, my second eldest kuman thong. Arrived Saturday, December 3, 2016.

Tanet (Rich Man), Niran (Eternal), and Ukrit (Supreme)

Tanet (Rich Man), Niran (Eternal), and Ukrit (Supreme)
My middle, second to the youngest, and youngest kuman thong came into my life the night of Sunday, May 28, 2017. Left: Niran; Middle: Ukrit; Right: Tanet.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Groceries. Bought Mongkut fresh milk, a bottle of strawberry FrutZoda, and a Kinder Joy For Boys egg filled with tiny candies. While buying these things I listened hard twice for an indication from him as to what he likes and does not like. He is not partial to stuffed toys and Halloween stuff.

When an adoptive parent takes on a kuman thong, enculturation inevitably happens, as it will for any living child. This encompasses housing, food, and material things such as toys and doll furniture, and, eventually, values and preferences. The bond between parent and kuman thong then strengthens and evolves. And transcends even traditional rituals that have no intellectual and emotional truth for the adoptive parent. There will come a point, therefore, when no adviser, Thai or not Thai, can impose "You should do this" and "You should not do this" on me. It is the unique historicity between adoptive parent and kuman thong that will count the most.

Besides, if Angelina Jolie can do her production number, so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment